This month Steele & Vaughn has been taking Greensboro movers step by step through the moving process with safety specifically in mind. June is National Safety Month and Steele & Vaughn wants to help our Greensboro movers keep safe. We have discussed reducing stress to avoid accidents, packing safety, and move day safety. This week we will cover your new home safety.
You have arrived! You have much to do to settle into your new space and call it home. Your Greensboro movers have carefully placed your belongings and you are ready to live here. Time to make your new home safe for you and your family. You will want to look after a few things as soon as you arrive to ensure a safe space.
- Look over the home and property for anything that could potentially be unsafe. Things like nails on the ground, frayed wires, uneven pavements or even trees hanging over the home or utility wires.
- Check all of your fire alarms to make sure they are in good working order. Replace batteries if necessary. Have every member of your household hear a test example of the alarms so that they are familiar with and will recognize the sound as the fire alarm.
- Develop a fire escape plan for every member of your family. You will want to do this before sleeping there on the very first night. You want your family very familiar with where to go and what to do in the event of a fire. Each member of your household should be aware of two ways to escape a fire.
- Have a carbon monoxide detector.
- Make sure all of the home doors and windows lock and the locks work. Consider changing the door locks as an extra home security measure. If the home doesn’t have a security system, you may want to look into that.
- Introduce yourself to your new neighbors. Neighbors look after one another. Make sure you exchange phone numbers in case of emergencies.
We found a fabulous Home Safety Checklist on Real Simple and invite you to check it out for many other safety tips. It is especially good to read through if you are moving into your very first home and not used to thinking about the many home safety considerations. We’re glad you found us here during National Safety Month. We hope you’ll stop back time and time again for all our Move news. We here at Steele & Vaughn wish our Greensboro movers a happy, healthy, and safe future in their new homes.